There is a $10 Billion corporate tax break bill in the Legislature that is so bad that both the progressive Every Texan and the conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation are vigorously opposing it. Read more below.
Also this Saturday, at 4 pm, HISD Board President Allen will be speaking to CVPE about board priorities, the superintendent search and what is happening in the Legislature. Click on the link to RSVP - https://www.houstoncvpe.org/cvpe_meeting_with_hisd_pres_allen
Here are some recent articles from the Houston Chronicle series on the giant corporate tax break:
- May 17th: Editorial: How a $10 billion corporate tax break is breaking Texas taxpayers
- May 14th: Tomlinson: Texas property tax breaks for businesses are only the tip of a troubling iceberg
- May 12th: The original sales pitch for the big Texas tax breaks? It sprang from a typo
- May 12th: Corporations saving $10 billion on taxes that Texans are paying for (houstonchronicle.com)
- May 12th: A controversial tax program promised high-paying jobs. Instead, its costs spiraled out of control. (houstonchronicle.com)
- House HRO Report hb4242.pdf (texas.gov) This bill would extend the corporate tax break another two years. Even Gov Abbott opposed it in 2015.
Imagine how much better we could support Texas schoolchildren if corporations paid their fair share. It will be heard in the Senate Committee this week.
Can you call/email members of the Senate Committee on Natural Resources & Economic Development and tell them enough is enough? Click below for their emails and phone numbers. Sen. Brian Birdwell (chair), Sen. Judith Zaffirini (v chair), Sen. Carol Alvarado, Sen. Kelly Hancock, Sen. Juan Hinojosa, Sen. Bryan Hughes, Sen. Lois Kolkhorst, Sen. Eddie Lucio, Jr. ,Sen. Kel Seliger
Below is the full text of the May 14th Texas property tax breaks for business are only the tip of a troubling iceberg
Editorial: How a $10 billion corporate tax break is breaking Texas taxpayers.
Do you like this page?