Can you email your HISD board member today about the redistricting plans? Ask the board to 1) provide more time before a final vote on a redistricting plan and 2) draft a plan that keeps historically underrepresented Black, Hispanic and immigrant Southwest Houston communities together?
Talking points (put this in your own words and no need to include all of the points). Introduce yourself and explain why representation matters.
- We are asking that the HISD Board 1) provide more time before a final vote on a redistricting plan (delay until Feb) and 2) draft a plan that keeps Southwest Houston communities together.
- The Southwest Houston neighborhoods of Gulfton, Sharpstown, Mid-West, Westwood, and Braeburn are home to large Asian, Black, Hispanic, and immigrant communities. These communities have been historically underrepresented and under-resourced.
- Redistricting Plans A and D fall short of fairly representing these Southwest Houston communities, going against one of the Board’s redistricting criteria, maintaining communities of interest and neighborhoods. Under both Plans A and D, Southwest Houston - a clear community of interest - is split among District V, VI, and VII.
- Minority voting strength is diluted by being split among three more affluent districts (V, VI, and VII).
- Any new redistricting plan should keep historically marginalized Southwest Houston communities within a single district. Plans A and D would divide them.
- Redistricting will affect communities’ representation for the next ten years. We urge the Board to take more time to get the map right.
- And we urge the Board to draft a plan that would keep Southwest Houston within a single district.
Here are the board emails. Pick one or two to write to. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
The HISD Board is also voting on the 2023 Board president on Thursday. You can watch the board meeting at HoustonISD.org/livetv.
Do you like this page?