Public education is the cornerstone of our great democracy. Let us -together- demand strong schools for all children in every neighborhood regardless of zip code.
But spending on public schools and our children has steadily decreased and, in Texas, we are 43rd in the nation in per pupil funding. Instead of fully investing in poor communities, the corporate reformers continue to focus on high stakes testing and accountability. But that is like a doctor taking a baby's temperature all day long and calling it the cure.
Unregulated charter proliferation and costly high stakes testing take money from our public school system resulting in school closures, primarily in poor communities, less services for students with disabilities, and denial of wraparound services.
In the News
- How Does KIPP Really Treat Its Parents-"Using unprincipled techniques ranging from lawsuits to bribery to expulsion, KIPP was more committed to getting rid of a Special Needs kid than serving his needs."
- Charter School Company spent big on luxury travel. "That trip was just one item in an $800,000 bill that IDEA Public Schools racked up between 2017 and 2019 on private jets and other luxe travel spending. Although IDEA received $319 million from the State of Texas and $71 million in federal money in 2018, this kind of travel would be illegal for public school district and state employees in Texas." Shouldn't they have to pay it back?
- 'Zero-Tolerance' Discipline Disproportionately Affects Students Of Color, With Disabilities-Texas Public Radio
- School-to-prison pipeline needs to be shut off- Editorial in San Antonio Express New
TODAY, March 10-Community Forum- Our Schools, Our Say
- Northside HS, 1101 Quitman from 6-7:30 pm. Park in the parking lot and walk towards the bus circle to enter the building.
- Let's talk about what we can do- together- to fight this takeover and develop community-driven solutions for our schools.
March 16- Rally against state takeover and for strong public schools in every neighborhood
- Sign up at go.aft.org/austinrally. If you are not a teacher or are driving yourself, the quick link is HERE.
- Buses will depart at 7:00 AM from Hattie Mae White HISD, 4400 W. 18th St. Returning to HISD by 3:30 pm.
- Rally at the Governor’s Mansion from 11 am-noon to speak out, stand up and demand that the Governor intervene and repeal Texas Education Agency Commissioner Mike Morath’s abuse of power and poor judgement. State takeover will lead to school closures, larger class size, and more misguided use of STAAR to evaluate our teachers and children.
Do you like this page?