Conference Schedule: The conference will be held at Resurrection Metropolitan Community Church, 2025 W 11th 77008 from 8:30 am-2:45 pm. Registration and continental breakfast are at 8:30 am. Interpreters are available.
Choose one breakout per session to attend. Sessions with an * have simultaneous translation.
Welcome and keynote (9:00am): Vivian Anderson, founder of EveryBlackGirl, will be sharing the keynote, “Responding Responsibly to the Rupture in Public Education” to help ground us.
Session 1 (10:15am-11:15am)
- *Texas School Finance: Understanding HB 3 and 87th Legislative Session (Chandra Villanueva)
- Telling your story when advocating for change (PK McCary)
- *Youth Organizing & Teacher Allyship (Agustin Herrera)
- Know Your Rights: Opt-Out and HB 4545 (Ruth Kravetz)
Session 2 (11:25am-12:25pm)
- Dismantling our Limiting Beliefs (Vivian Anderson)
- *Don't Say Gay: Hidden Impacts of Parents Bill of Rights (Whitney Roach)
- Expanding role of the Commissioner of Education and TEA in public education (Patty Quinzi)
- *Blooming Ethnic Studies in Hostile Times (Ethnic Studies Network of Texas)
Lunch and Spoken Word (12:25-1:05 pm)
Session 3 (1:10-2:10 pm)
- *Common disinformation about CRT and what you can do (Dr. Fran Huckaby)
- School Access to Books and how school libraries support student learning (Debbie Hall, Dorcas Hand & Anne Furse)
- False Narratives about Charters Schools- Setting the Record Straight (Patti Everitt)
- How to Advocate for change with a school board member (Anne Sung and Elizabeth Santos)
- Art: Creativity for Change (Alpa Sridharan)
Closing and Next Steps (2:15-2:45pm)
Do you like this page?