End Punitive Use of Standardized Testing
- End the use of standardized testing for graduation. Graduation should be based on attendance and passing classes only as is true in 39 other states.
- Abolish HB 4545. No more year-round test prep.
- Stop using STAAR to rank schools (A-F ratings). Measure what matters.
- No schools or students should be rated in 2023, the first year of the new STAAR 2.0.
- Test how you learn best, either the paper or online STAAR.
- Limit standardized testing to only what is required by federal law
Fully and equitably fund schools
- Link state’s basic allotment to inflation instead of legislative mandates. We must increase the state’s overall investment in our public school students and in public education programs
- Fund students based on enrollment not attendance.
- Fully fund all day pre-K.
- Support a teacher pay raise.
Vouchers, charters and takeovers
- Public dollars for public schools. Oppose vouchers that use taxpayer dollars to subsidize private schools and vendors.
- Support a two year moratorium on charter expansion because of lack of accountability and transparency.
- Oppose state takeovers. They worsen student outcomes and experiences.
Equity and Inclusion in Schools
- Teach the Truth: Support the teaching of full, truthful history to students.
- Oppose censorship of books in schools.
- End discriminatory practices that target, LGBTQia, students of color, and other students.
- Support students’ right to wear clothes and hair styles that affirm their cultural and gender.
Re-imagining School Safety
- Support sensible gun safety in schools such as raising the minimum age to purchase assault weapons.
- Oppose militarizing school campuses. Armed police do not prevent school shootings.
- Support policies reducing disproportionate discipline/ arrests of students of color and Special Education student.
Do you like this page?