Will you do two things today?[En Español]
- Watch this documentary, “The Myths of Thanksgiving: Native American Perspectives on the Pilgrims at https://youtu.be/2bs1WDDcMWQ.
- Donate or become a dues-paying member to celebrate Giving Tuesday.
We believe in the power and promise of public education. All students and communities deserve:
- Public Schools as the heartbeat of our multiracial democracy
- Full & equitable funding & wraparound services in our schools
- Time devoted to real learning and less high-stakes STAAR
- Fairly paid and respected teachers
- Full and truthful learning of history with access to all books
Here is some stuff to chew on.
- Listen to former President Barack Obama talk about how democracy requires, by definition, our ability to talk with people who disagree with us, no matter how much harder it is right now than before on The Daily Show at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqaODYJ702s
- Public Schools Continue to the Heartbeat of our Multiracial Democracy at https://downhomenc.org/2022/11/19/publicschoolselectionrecap/
- School closures and the HISD budget: The superintendent and some board members have repeatedly stated the need to “right-size” the district as part of their transformation agenda. While the superintendent stated that closures will be the last resort, we must be prepared to fight back and ensure that schools in black and brown communities are not closed down when other schools are left untouched. Read more at https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/houston-isd-school-closures-17577934.php.
- Why is HISD or TEA tossing Special Education students out of TH Rogers? Read T.H. Rogers Special Ed Students to be Shipped Out to Their Home Schools and Opinion: T.H. Rogers Parents Demand Answers and Don't Want What's Happening Covered Up
- Why the Re-election of Abbott and other Republicans may reduce funding for children's mental health. Read more at https://www.texastribune.org/2022/11/14/texas-child-mental-health-budget/
Do you like this page?