Goals for 2016-17
Community Voices for Public Education (CVPE) unites Houston parents, educators, students, and community members to advocate for policies that strengthen Houston’s public school system. Public education is a gateway to opportunity, social and economic justice, and the democratic promise of our country. We believe that all children deserve great public schools. Our goals for 2016-17 include-
ELECT HISD SCHOOL BOARD TRUSTEES in 2016 (WE WON) and in Nov 2017 who support our agenda
- ELIMINATE STAAR FOR PROMOTION in non state-required grades (3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th)- WE WON for the 2015-17 school years!
FIGHT FOR OUR PUBLIC SCHOOLS at the STATE LEVEL
- Oppose SB3 (Vouchers by other name)
- Oppose SB13 (no automatic payroll deduction for union dues for teachers but leaves police and firefighter unions alone, anti teacher, anti public school)
- Oppose SB14 (sanctuary city bill that will deny our children the right to be safe in our schools and will force children into the shadows)
- Support HB 1333 (teach not test bill) that will reduce reliance on standardized testing in our schools
PROMOTE A RICH, MEANINGFUL CURRICULUM FOR OUR STUDENTS; OPPOSE HIGH STAKES TESTING
At the local HISD level-
- Permanently end the use of standardized test scores to evaluate teachers [HISD]
- End the use of STAAR as the primary measure for evaluating principals
- Permanently end the use of STAAR as a promotion standard in non state-required grades (3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th)
- Reduce the number of district-created (or required) benchmarks (practice tests for the STAAR) so there is more opportunity for real learning. Assessments are best when created by those closest to the students-their teachers
At the state level-
- End the use of Grade A-F System for School Accountability
- Limit the use of STAAR to those grades and subjects required by federal law
- Abolish the state requirement using STAAR for promotion at grades 5 and 8
- At the local HISD level-
- SUPPORT QUALITY NEIGHBORHOOD SCHOOLS; don’t close them. Support the community schools model. Magnet programs, if any, should be located in high need under-resourced communities to promote equity and access.
KEEP STRONG TEACHERS AND PRINCIPALS IN HISD. High faculty turnover destabilizes schools and hurts children. Abolish the Haberman instrument. It is a flawed mechanism for identifying potential school leaders. Return extra pay for post graduate education by teachers (masters and beyond).